Portrush & Causeway Tramway

Anthony Traill (Provost of Trinity 1904-1914) and his brother William Acheson Traill were born here, at Ballylough, in 1838 and 1844 respectively.
Both engineers, they created the World’s first ever Hydro-electric Tramway, which ran between Portrush and The Giant’s Causeway, where they also had a hotel, The Causeway Hotel.
The Causeway Hotel and the Giant’s Causeway are now both run by the National Trust.

The Railway was sold after the war and was resurrected by Christine Wright (the current June Traill of Ballylough’s mother), David Laing, Richard Traill and many many amazing volunteers, with the steam engines coming from O’Neill’s estate in Antrim. Sadly the venture did not last, as matched funding did not come forward and the Railway went bust. It was taken over by Mr Sweeney, who also owns the Nook pub just at the entrance to the Giant’s Causeway, where you can get a good warm fire and hot chocolate, among other things, after a good walk to and from the stones.